While I work on a few other things, here’s some quick filler.
- Book a flight.
- Download the following to your mobile device:
- OSMAnd+ (and maps for where you’re going)
- Google Translate (and the language for where you’re going)
- Book a bed at your destination on HostelWorld (hostels are at the destinations with international airports) for two nights.
- Arrive and take train or bus to hostel (hostel will include directions on how to get there, and you’re carrying the maps offline in OSMAnd+).
- Each day
- Select your next destination and book. Check HostelWorld first, then Booking.Com
- Google for top things to visit at your destination. Google for free top things to visit for better economy.
That in a nutshell is how I travel.
Quick related notes:
- Check with your debit/credit card(s) for what fees are for acquiring money. Don’t change money at the airport if possible; find an ATM outside of the airport.
- If offered the option, pay in local currency with your credit card, not USD (the credit card rate will be better than what they offer).
- Don’t purchase a SIM for your phone at the airport. Look for a Vodaphone (preferable) shop for a SIM (your hostel can likely help you). It should be about $25 for a month of data.
- Carry change – some city toilets will require coins.
- Supermarkets exist in Europe. Most hostels and many booking.com sites include a small kitchen. Combine.